Two Derby men released on bail after boxing fight ends in murder

This post first appeared on Derby Telegraph. Read the original article.

Two men from Derby have been released on bail after being arrested after the murder of a teenager who was stabbed in the neck.

Reagan Asbury, 19, died in hospital after being attacked in a brawl near Walsall Town Hall late on Saturday during a disorder which broke out at a match between a Derby boxer and a local fighter attended by hundreds of fans.

Reagan Asbury

A police spokesman said a 22-year-old man from Derby who was arrested on Tuesday on suspicion of assisting an offender had been released until next month pending further inquiries.

A 25-year-old man, also from Derby, has previously been bailed after being questioned on suspicion of the same offence.

Police tape outside Walsall Town Hall

Reagan's heartbroken parents paid tribute to the teenager, from Pelsall, Walsall, in a statement released through West Midlands Police on Tuesday.

The tribute read: "Our number one son, brother, grandson, nephew, cousin and friend... taken in such a callous, inhumane way.

"What a cruel, cruel world we live in, especially for all our children. We are all so empty."

Read More

The latest crime news in our area

  • Ricky Martin has been left absolutely gutted after his car was torched by arsonists

    Arson at Five Lamps

  • A file stock picture of a Derbyshire police (UK) police car in Derby.

    Man seen performing sex act

  • A Derby Sainsbury's employee has been arrested after a Snapchat rant

    Sainsbury's employee arrested

  • The incident happened in Uttoxeter Old Road

    Police in Uttoxeter Old Road

Detective Inspector Justin Spanner, who is overseeing the enquiry, said: "This is a tragic case and we have a team of detectives working to get to the bottom of exactly what happened and to apprehend the offender and anyone who may have assisted him.

“We have spoken to several witnesses already and secured CCTV in a bid to explain what sparked the disorder and identify the offender − but we know there was a large crowd at the event and we need to speak to as many of them as possible.

"I need those people to get in touch as they could have seen something crucial or caught something important on mobile phone footage. Equally, I’d like to speak to anyone who was outside Walsall Town Hall late on Saturday night or anyone who suspects who may be responsible for this tragic event."