This post first appeared on Derby Telegraph. Read the original article.
A mum has spoken of the horrifying moment her daughter was "dragged" into a tumble dryer after it continued spinning when the toddler opened the door.
Shannon Johnstone-Evans, from Somercotes, said her 23-month-old daughter Iiylah-Louise needed hospital treatment following the incident and has been left traumatised by what happened but fears the situation could have been much worse.
The youngster's hand was pulled into the dryer by blankets which were in the old appliance with her head following - before her quick-thinking mum intervened.
The 24-year-old said: "She had somehow managed to open the dryer door with it still going round so the blankets in there had wrapped around her tighter and tighter and were pulling her in.
"It was awful I could see her hand was in the machine and the momentum was pulling her head towards it. I grabbed her but it was still pulling at her so I flicked the power switch.
"She was screaming but it could have been awful if her head went into the fast spinning drum - she could have been very seriously injured."
Shannon said the incident happened as she was cooking her three children their dinner in the kitchen when she heard a "muffled scream" from another room.
She ran to help her just in time but then found a piece of cotton had wrapped itself around her daughter’s finger – cutting off the circulation and causing it to swell almost "twice the size".
The old tumble-dryer, a Crusader CT31V which the family bought second hand, had a safety facility to ensure that when the door was opened, the spinning stopped. However, Shannon said this must have stopped working before the incident happened.
She took Iiylah-Louise to King's Mill Hospital where she was given an X-ray which revealed she had soft tissue damage to her finger. She was discharged that same day.
Shannon added: "The dryer is a few years old but it had always stopped spinning when you opened the door until a couple of days ago when it happened. I've thrown the dryer out now and I’ll never have one again.
"It's been horrible. It's the most horrific thing that I have ever seen in my life. I just couldn't get the blankets off her quick enough, it felt like everything was just taking ages."
Less than two days after being discharged, Iiylah-Louise had a seizure and was taken back to hospital for tests.
Shannon said Iiylah is normally a "healthy, happy child" and is it unclear whether the seizure is linked to the trauma of the incident.
She has warned parents of the dangers of using tumble dryers and what can happen if a tumble dryer is not working as it should and a child opens the door.
Craig McClue, lead officer and policy executive at the Chartered Trading Standards Institute, said: "Product safety is a serious issue and consumers need to think carefully when looking to buy older second hand appliances.
"The safety of the product will be unknown and parts of it might be failing depending on its age. As a precaution trading standards recommend that a thorough safety check is carried out by a qualified technician. The cost of this obviously needs to be considered against the price of a new appliance.
"If a safety issue is identified with an appliance then consumers should contact the Citizens Advice consumer helpline on 03454 04 05 06 for assistance."
It is unclear whether Crusader still manufacture appliances but several websites exist selling spare parts for this make of tumble dryers.