This post first appeared on Derby Telegraph. Read the original article.
The Grillhouse restaurant in Chaddesden was hit with a zero-star food hygiene rating for “uncontrolled contamination hazards”.
Environmental health officers found ventilation was so greasy it could pose a fire hazard when they visited in July.
They also found an accumulation of waste in the rear yard and a "filthy sink area" - and there was no soap on the premises.
The Derby Telegraph attempted to make contact with the Grillhouse outside of opening hours on October 26 at noon but failed. We tried their advertised number but it did not connect.
When we spoke to residents who lived in the area, they told us that the restaurant is now closed until further notice.
Derby City Council's food hygiene rating system goes from zero to five stars, with zero meaning “urgent improvement is necessary” and five meaning “very good”.
The report featuring the Grillhouse was released after a Freedom of Information request and highlights an “extremely greasy” canopy that had liquid dripping from its hood.
The officers could also not find any soap in the whole building, meaning that food handlers were not washing their hands.
They wrote: “There was no soap at the wash basin in the kitchen and when I asked for soap, someone had to go and buy some. You must ensure that there is an adequate supply of soap and hygienic hand drying facilities at your wash basin.”
Also, they commented how the sink area was filthy and the taps were greasy, along with the interior of the microwave which comes into close proximity with food.
The report also highlighted how many other "food contact surfaces" were dirty and how food debris was found on the floor between the kitchen and servery.
It also found how the ventilation and ducting in the kitchen and servery were “very greasy and could pose a fire hazard”.
The inspector wrote: “You must arrange for the canopy and ducting to be inspected and appropriately cleaned by a competent person.
“I remind you that if you have a fire as a result of a build up of grease in this ducting and you cannot show you have maintained it, you may not be insured.”
A staff member in a nearby business told us that the restaurant is now closed.
They said: “Around two months ago, we noticed that the place wasn’t open when it should have been but it didn’t close properly until a month later. Then, they never reopened and it’s definitely closed now.
“Generally, the owners kept themselves to themselves and didn’t really talk to us much so we don’t know anything about them.”
Corey Goff, 20, lives on an adjoining road. He said: “I used to order from that place but it’s been closed for about a month now. The owners seemed like sound people to me.
“I would say they closed around mid to late September. I was ordering food from them as normal just a couple of days before they closed.
The soon-to-be drainage apprentice said: “I’m glad I know about that zero star rating now. I didn’t think it was that bad as the food was nice.”