Here's the latest on Derby River Gardens attack

This post first appeared on Derby Telegraph. Read the original article.

A police cordon where a man was attacked near Derby River Gardens over the weekend has been lifted.

Derbyshire police say the victim attacked on Saturday afternoon "suffered serious injuries" but is in a "stable condition".

Police and ambulance cars descended outside the front entrance of Derby Bus Station at about 1.30pm when the victim was initially treated before being taken to hospital.

The police cordon at Derby River Gardens

The police cordon at Derby River Gardens

Police put up a cordon at an underpass between Bass Recreation Ground and the River Gardens so they could investigate. Trails of blood could be seen on the ground from the bridge to the back entrance of the bus station.

When the Derby Telegraph revisited the scene on Sunday morning the cordon had been lifted, meaning it was open for pedestrians and cyclists to go through.

One of the people who came to the victim's aid, Daniel Hickton, said the first he knew about what happened was when a woman called for his help at about 1.45pm on Saturday.

He said: "My friend and I were waiting for the 1A bus to Alvaston where she lives. The first thing I knew about what happened was when the woman called for help.

"He (the injured man) was the one who said he'd been stabbed. It looked like he'd been stabbed once.

Police outside Derby Bus Station

Police outside Derby Bus Station

"There was a lot of blood. On my hand, shoes, all over the floor. We wrapped bandages around his arm to stop the bleeding - maybe six times round.

"He went white in the face and was struggling to breathe. It was all a big shock - I couldn't believe what was happening."

Police have been unavailable for comment so far today.

Read More

Most read stories

  • Jason Horner and Laura Mitchell

    Taxi driver stabbed with needle

  • Danny Ings in action for Liverpool

    Derby County's Liverpool striker link

  • Apache helicopters were spotted over Derby

    Apache helicopters explained

  • A tree was attacked by a chainsaw-wielding vandal at a Derby park

    Mindless chainsaw vandalism

Yesterday, a force statement said an altercation took place between "two men at the underpass" and were calling for witnesses to come forward.

The statement read: "At around 1.20pm today (Saturday, October 28), an altercation took place between two men at the underpass between Bass' Recreation Ground and the River Gardens.

"One man suffered serious injuries and is in hospital in a stable condition."

Anyone with information should call 101 quoting reference 17000466554 or call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.