Baby who wasn't breathing is recovering at QMC - after mum was told by Derby A&E to 'sit and wait her turn'

This post first appeared on Nottingham Post. Read the original article.

A panicked young mum whose baby was not breathing was allegedly told to sit and “wait her turn” when she arrived at an A&E department.

Daveanah Cowie, from Alvaston, Derbyshire, ignored the request at Derby Royal Hospital and found a doctor.

The medic then resuscitated Tommy-Lee and put him on a life support machine, reports the Derby Telegraph.

The 21-year-old said her seven-week-old little boy “could have died” if she had not acted quickly.

Tommy-Lee was found to have bronchitis and has been in hospital since November 27 with his twin brother Arlow-Jack, who has the same condition.

Miss Cowie, a mum-of-five, says she is “outraged” by the “lack of knowledge” and is calling for staff to be given more training.

Read More

Parenting news

  • Hannah Clarke and baby Martha

    Crying mum helped

  • Cruellest names

  • Next year's most popular

  • Mum shocked after comment

She said: “I took Tommy-Lee to hospital because he was poorly and I noticed as I got out of my vehicle that he was not breathing.

“I rushed him through the doors in a panic and asked the receptionist to get help immediately. Instead of finding a doctor she decided to take my details and told me to sit down and wait my turn.

“I couldn’t believe it. My baby was not breathing and I was told to wait.

Dad Jamie Brewin with mum Daveanah Cowie and twins Tommy-Lee and Arlow-Jack

Dad Jamie Brewin with mum Daveanah Cowie and twins Tommy-Lee and Arlow-Jack

“I ignored that and rushed him through the doors and found a female doctor who did life support on him.

“He had episodes where he stopped breathing after that. He was then ventilated and transferred to Queen’s Medical Centre in Nottingham.”

She added: “I just can’t believe how anybody could be that irresponsible. If I had waited my baby could’ve died.

“I told the doctor what had happened and she said: ‘She probably just needs more training’. I haven’t received an apology and it’s not on. My baby's life was at risk."

Tommy-Lee and Arlow-Jack are slowly making a full recovery, she said.

A spokeswoman for Derby Teaching Hospitals said: “Our first priority is always the safe care of the babies and children brought to our children’s emergency department, and thanks to the expertise of our highly skilled emergency team, the baby in this case received appropriate care.

“We were concerned to find that a receptionist failed to immediately recognise the serious nature of this situation, as this is highly unusual for our dedicated team of reception staff.

“We immediately started an investigation and we are now reviewing the training we give to reception staff in the children’s emergency department.

"We are also happy to meet Ms Cowie to explain the steps we have taken.”