Man found safe after road was closed while police responded to concerns about him

This post first appeared on Nottingham Post. Read the original article.

An 18-year-old man has been found after a central Nottingham road was closed off for two hours by police responding to reports of concern for his safety.

Portland Road, off Alfreton Road, was closed from around 6pm until 8pm by Nottinghamshire Police as they investigated the incident last night (February 14).

Officers had received reports that the man had been assaulted and his whereabouts were unknown.

But, this morning, a spokesman for the Force said the man had been found safe and well.

Residents spoke to the Post about the shock of seeing the police activity last night.

Kim Whyall, 60, a youth worker of Portland Road, said: "I was at work but my husband was in but he did not know anything about it until he looked out of the window. I got home at 10pm we just heard about it on the news.

The police cordon on Portland Road, off Alfreton Road

The police cordon on Portland Road, off Alfreton Road

"To be honest we have lived here 19 years and there has always been something happening.

"Over the years there’s been one or two incidents. There’s always been a lot of noise."

Omar Mohammed, 31, a financial services contractor, who recently moved to the area, said: "There was a lot of police activity.

"There were a few police cars.”

A police van at the scene in Portland Street, off Alfreton Road

A police van at the scene in Portland Street, off Alfreton Road

But, Erica Cotton, 37, of Portland Road, a carer, said: “We do not normally get any trouble. It’s normally quite quiet."

Enquiries are ongoing to establish the circumstances of the incident, which happened at around 5.25pm yesterday (February 14).

Anyone who witnessed the incident, or has any information, is urged to call 101, or Crimestoppers anonymously, quoting incident 611 of February 14.