Why double decker school bus caught on fire closing main road

Click to read the article in full.  

An electrical fault with a double decker bus caused it to catch fire as it was returning to depot.

Emergency services were alerted to the incident this morning at around 7.18am today (Thursday, September 10).

When Leicestershire Fire and Rescue Service arrived, firefighters reported that the bus was 'well alight' on Bypass Road, Asfordby, near Melton.

Leicestershire Police were called to assist with traffic management, with queues stretching back into Melton and to the A46.

The back of the bus was 'well alight' when emergency services arrived.

Thankfully, no passengers were present and only the driver was on board.

He managed to disembark safely after noticing the back seats were on fire while he was still driving.

Two appliances from Melton fire station successfully extinguished the fire just after 8am.

Get LeicestershireLive's newsletter - and free alerts as well

Want a free daily bulletin - plus breaking news alerts direct to your inbox? Then sign up to our email newsletter service!

All you need to do is type your email address into the 'sign up to free daily alerts' box. It's at the top of this article.

It's also on any stories on the website - simply click 'subscribe' and you can expect your first newsletter at the next release.

Alternatively, click here to sign up online.

Decide later that you no longer wish to receive the emails? No problem - you can just follow the unsubscribe link.

An investigation determined that the fire had been started by an electrical fault in the engine compartment, which is located at the back of the vehicle.

Pictures of the vehicle show extensive damage with windows blown out and the back end of the bottom deck completely charred.

The road was reopened just after 9am.

 link source - Leicester Mercury http://i2-prod.leicestermercury.co.uk/incoming/article4502120.ece/ALTERNATES/s810/0_IMG_3360jpeg.jpg

Continue reading this article at the original source Here